BorrowLenses is closed on 11/28 and 11/29 so we are starting our used gear sale early! Shop today for a total savings of up to 50% off (20% off already marked-down gear) on hundreds of used cameras, lenses, and accessories. Use code BLACKFRIDAY19 at checkout! See all used gear here.
Black Friday Used Gear Sale Check
Because of the thorough testing we do between rentals, our gear remains in good shape for selling. When it’s time to sell an item, we do another inspection to rate the item. A detailed description of any cosmetic issues is posted on the item’s listing so you know exactly what you’re getting. Our inspections include the following:
- Examine front/rear lens elements for damage and dust.
- Inspect lens barrels for any damage to focus, zoom, and aperture rings (where present).
- Verify focus accuracy and zoom performance at minimum and maximum zooms (where applicable).
- Test-shoot lenses against white cards to test for any inner element dust or debris.
- Fully clean lenses and camera bodies.
- Check camera card slots for dust or damage.
- Note any superficial scarring of equipment (much like with rental cars).
- Test for front/back focusing of lenses on various camera bodies against a LensAlign or similar tool.
- Clean camera sensors.
- Cameras, lighting equipment, monitors, and more are fully reset to their defaults.
Once your used gear arrives, we allow a 3-day inspection period on all sale items from the date of delivery. You can return the item within those 3 days for any reason at all with just a 3% restocking fee and the round-trip shipping cost of the equipment. After that, we allow 4 weeks for general returns, less the rental fees we would have charged, and shipping costs. Of course, if any gear is not performing as described, let us know so we can figure that out with you.
Settings to Check Before Shooting or When Testing Camera and Lens Quality
Here are some ideas to add to your checklist for any shooting situation:
- Camera’s eyepiece/viewfinder diopter. Is it set for your eyes?
- Lenses are made within certain tolerances of sharpness. You can compensate for this with front/back focusing settings in your camera. Learn more in Microadjustment for Lens and Camera Front/Back Focusing Issues.
- Some lenses with manual aperture rings will not cooperate with a camera in auto/semi-auto modes (Program or Shutter Priority) unless the aperture ring is locked or set to a certain locking f/stop (for Fuji X-mount lenses, set the aperture ring to “A”).
- Make sure the Quick Control dial (certain Canon cameras) isn’t accidentally locked. Make sure the Mode Dial lock is released (applicable to certain Nikon cameras).
- If you use the shutter button to focus and it doesn’t seem to be working, ensure your camera isn’t set to use the back-focus button.
- Check your meter mode. If the exposures you’re getting aren’t what you’re expecting, you could be in Matrix/Evaluative mode when you’d rather be in Spot mode.
- Look at your Exposure Compensation Dial to see if it’s set to over/under expose.
- Choose the right focus mode for your subject. This is different from Focus Area. Learn more in All About Autofocus: Focus Area vs Focus Mode for Beginners.
- Set file size and quality you want. Most cameras, when reset, default to JPEG and not RAW.
- Format your memory card. Double check that the card truly is compatible with your camera. Some older cameras don’t play nicely with newer cards. Some cameras have card size limitations.
- Check that ISO isn’t set to auto (common in resets).
- Cold weather affects gear. LCDs can lose contrast and batteries die quickly, for example. Keep this in mind when traveling.
Discount code BLACKFRIDAY19 is for 20% off Black Friday used gear sale only, expires on 12/13/19 at 11:59PM PDT, and is not eligible for existing orders, rentals, the sale of new items such as BorrowLenses t-shirts or gaffer’s tape. Codes cannot be combined with other discount codes or be stacked with each other. Used gear cannot be purchased on the same order as a rental.
Latest posts by BorrowLenses (see all)
- Used Gear Black Friday Sale – Closed 11/28 & 11/29 - November 27, 2019
- Gear Up for Changing Colors - September 30, 2019
- 15% Off All Rentals + A Free Day - August 21, 2019