Seán Duggan is a fine art photographer, author, educator, and an Adobe Certified Creative Suite Expert with extensive experience in both the traditional and digital darkroom. His latest article guides novice Lightroom users and those confused when linking a Lightroom library with an updated hard drive configuration. Continue on if you have ever experienced those perplexing question marks when attempting to work with a previously imported file within Lightroom.
Move Your Lightroom Library to a New Hard Drive
by Seán Duggan
One sure thing about digital photography is that, like the universe, your image library and the amount of hard drive space it requires is always expanding. And, if you’ve upgraded to a camera with more megapixels, it may be expanding faster than you originally thought it would! As your image archive grows you’ll eventually run out of space on your current hard drive or drives and you’ll need to move the files onto newer and larger capacity storage media.
In this short episode of the Lightroom Viewfinder, I will show you how to move your Lightroom image library onto a new hard drive and then re-link everything to the Lightroom catalog file so you don’t run into those vexing question marks that appear when Lightroom can’t find the folder it’s looking for.
Seán Duggan is the co-author of Photoshop Masking & Composting, Real World Digital Photography, and The Creative Digital Darkroom. He is on the faculty of the School of Visual Arts in New York City and leads workshops all around the world. See all of Duggan’s Lightroom tips below:
• Lightroom Keywording Tips
• Take Control of Lightroom’s Import Dialog
• Adding Value to Your Image Archive with Keywords
• Adobe Lightroom Tips for Beginners: Merging a Travel Catalog with your Main Catalog
• Adobe Lightroom Tips for Beginners: The Island of Lost Files
• The Lightroom-Photoshop Connection: Sending JPEG Files Back and Forth
• The Lightroom-Photoshop Connection: Sending RAW Files Back and Forth
• Creative Jump Start: Shooting with Fisheye and Ultra Wide-Angle Lenses
Latest posts by Kymberly Cortigiano (see all)
- Tips for Photographing Family Events - September 3, 2016
- Getting Started In Skateboard Photography: An Interview with Kyle Seidler - September 2, 2016
- How to Set Up a Video Booth - June 29, 2016