Cool Stuff – Week of July 23, 2012Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- Months after many people said they should have, Canon has finally entered the compact mirrorless camera market with the EOS M. Our friends over at PetaPixel have a great roundup of the features, pricing and availability of this new camera.
- We posted this over the weekend, but come on, no Cool Stuff roundup would be complete without this. So, here for your viewing pleasure is the inimitable Zack Arias on DigitalRev’s “Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera” segment.
- We’re addicted to David Hobby’s “Strobist” blog, and today, he posted about a different addiction altogether. Here’s his piece on photographer Mathieu Young photographing an illegal cannabis farm.
- Nature photographers, listen up! The awesome folks at PhotoShelter have a guide out now on how to sell your nature photography. Of course, as with many of their other guides, this one’s free too.
- Last week, we talked about videographer Philip Bloom. This week, we talk about his assistant Preston Kanak, who just put together the first part of a series of tutorials on how to shoot RAW time-lapse. The idea behind it is pretty simple – if you like what you see, pay it forward.
- This video came to us by way of Vincent Laforet’s excellent blog. It takes you through the ages of title designs for films, starting in the early 1900s, to today.
- And finally, for those who’ve been looking forward to playing with Canon’s flagship 1Dx, here’s a great series of tutorials that you can play right on the 1Dx’s screen, by way of United by Photography.
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff! As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.
The Internet is AwesomeCool Stuff
Google’s Marissa Mayer was recently hired on to helm Yahoo! as their CEO, and photographers who care immensely about Yahoo!’s beleaguered Flickr photo service decided to send her a message.
The folks at Yahoo! responded with a kind of “Help us help you” message, and posted the following:
Though it isn’t exactly what some folks would have liked, it is nice to see that Yahoo has their ear to the ground and is actually listening to what their users and critics have to say.
In recent times, they’ve been facing competition from multiple quarters. Google+, 500px, and even Facebook have improved their photo sharing features. One wonders if the wonderful community that exists on Flickr will eventually fall by the wayside. As fans of the service (and longtime users), we hope Marissa Mayer does, in fact, make Flick awesome again.
Zack Arias on DigitalRevCool Stuff
Just a quick “You gotta see this” post for you today. The folks at DigitalRev.com had Zack Arias on their show last week. Zack, who is visiting Hong Kong for a workshop with Joe McNally, appeared on the show that he calls the Top Gear of photography.
DigitalRev does a segment called “Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera,” which last featured Chase Jarvis. Now, Zack makes an appearance, shooting with a Kodak C142. The result? Sheer awesomeness.
On the Profoto BlogCool Stuff
Our recent Tip of the Week was picked up by the wonderful folks at Profoto and mentioned on their blog. If you haven’t been by there, you’re missing out – they post a ton of great stuff that’s worth looking at even if you never use a single piece of Profoto gear. We warn you though – watching some of their videos will induce a pretty severe case of Profoto lust.
Don’t say we didn’t warn you…
Meet BorrowLenses.com – Austin FaustoBL News
Austin tests, cleans, and prepares our gear for customer orders. He helps to make sure that you get your order in prime condition for your next shoot.
BorrowLenses.com’s Shoot/Share/Like GiveawayBL News
- Shoot a picture with your cell phone, framing your gear or favorite subject with our “camera”.
- Share your photo on Twitter, Facebook or G+ and be sure to tag/@ BorrowLenses.com
- Like us on Facebook, G+, or Twitter if you haven’t already.
We will be randomly picking a winner every month (while stickers last). On top of that we’ll be giving away additional gift certificates for:
- Most distant location.
- Funniest picture.
- Most creative shot.
We look forward to seeing your photos!