BorrowLenses.com and Special Guests to Attend WPPI in Las VegasBL News
BL is going to WPPI and we’re bringing some friends to speak from our booth about lighting, technique and more!
Kodak’s First Canon-based DSLR: A 1.3 Megapixel Slice of Photographic HistoryGear Talk
Learn more about the EOS-DCS 3, Kodak’s very first Canon-based digital SLR–a 1.3 megapixel, no-LCD, nearly 4-pound behemoth that cost around $16,000!
Kill the Background: How to Turn a Background Black with SpeedlightsTips & Tricks
I was recently inspired by a recent series of portraits by our very own Alex Huff. Titled “Chiaroscuro Portraiture,” it features these gorgeous close-up portraits of the men and women in her life, each one of which is a study in how to render the interplay between light and shadow.
Alex takes these images in front of a grey background, and through a combination of getting in close to her subjects and using one light, sends what little you might see of that grey to almost pitch black. I began to think of what I could do if I didn’t have a backdrop to shoot against, if I needed to make a portrait in a relatively brightly-lit area. In theory, it could be done; a basic understanding of the Inverse-Square Law reveals that much.
But what if all you had was a basic modifier and a couple of speedlights, not a big studio strobe? Could you still do it? I had to give it a try. (more…)
10 Awesome GoPro Videos Borrowlenses.com Loves on YouTubeGear Talk
BL’s resident GoPro enthusiast shares his favorite GoPro videos. What’s yours?
Day of the Deal: 25% Discount on All Cameras, Lenses, Camcorders, and More!BL News
Today only save 25% off ANY BorrowLenses.com rental.
How to Get 25% Off Today:
- Make your order between now and 11:59PM PST, February 19th, 2013.
- Upon checkout use coupon code: DAYOFDEAL25
- Rest easy knowing you saved some money on your rental!
The Fine Print:
- Discount code is applicable only to orders placed on Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 by 11:59PM PST.
- Orders must be scheduled to be shipped by end of day Friday, February 22nd, 2013.
- This coupon code is good for rentals only and does not apply to For Sale items.
- This coupon is not stackable with any other coupon unless you are a BL member.
Cool Stuff – Week of Feb 17, 2013Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: any time Joe McNally talks, everyone should listen. This latest video will only be only till Feb 20, 2013, so make sure you watch it before then.
- Here’s another photographer you should always listen to/watch/study with if you get the chance: Gregory Heisler. From the guys over at the Profoto Blog comes a recounting of Greg’s shoot with Yasser Arafat.
- Yet another photographer we love is back with his series of image critiques. Here’s Episode 15 of Zack Arias’ “Photography Critiques.”
- Budding auto photographers should head over to Scott Kelby’s blog and take a look at his detailed post on how he shot details on an Aston Martin Vantage. Mmm…. car porn!
- And finally, from our friends over at PetaPixel, classified in the “Oh, Iran!” category: another Photoshop blunder from that country makes us chuckle all over again.
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff! As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.