Cool Stuff, January 12, 2014Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a recurring feature where we post our favorite links, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
Cool Stuff articles are culled from BLFlip, the official Flipboard Magazine of BorrowLenses.com. If you’ve got an iOS or Android device, you can download the Flipboard app for free now.
- What do you get when you mix spices and pyrotechnics? A fantastic ad for food flavor packets, of course! This is already in the running for one of our favorite videos of the year.
- It’s still early in January, but we already have two videos that are vying for our attention. This one comes to us from a story about a photographer named Adam Magyar, who’s using a custom-built camera whose inner workings we won’t pretend to understand, but boy does he deliver one heck of an image. Take a look at the video below and you’ll see what we mean.
- We’re pretty sure we’ve mentioned photographer Martin Schoeller’s work here at the BLBlog before, but we have no compunctions about mentioning him again. Here he is, talking about his work for National Geographic Live.
- Love them or hate them, Apple knows how to make great ads. In this one for the iPad Air, the folks at PetaPixel noticed that documentary filmmaker Josh Apter was using the iPad to make movies. Apple hasn’t released details on what his gear setup is like yet, but you can take a look at the video now.
- And finally, in a nod to you filmmakers out there, here’s an open letter that director Martin Scorsese wrote to his daughter, penning his thoughts on the future of filmmaking. It’s really worth a read, especially as we go into a very strange and uncertain 2014 where the field of video and filmmaking is concerned.
And now, for the BorrowLenses.com Roundup!
- We’re at Imaging USA! If you’re in the area, drop by, say hello, eat candy!
- You’ve got a few more hours to get in on this week’s rental deal. If you miss it, we’ll have more gear deals tomorrow, so don’t worry.
- Wanna win a $200 gift certificate from us? Take a few minutes and complete our year-end survey!
That’s it for this edition of Cool Stuff. As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Seeking Inspiration — July 20, 2014 - July 20, 2014
- The Bokeh Effect: How Sensor Size Affects Background Blur - May 14, 2014
- Illuminating the Face, by Peter Hurley: A Review - May 6, 2014