Cool Stuff — August 20, 2013BL News
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a recurring feature where we post our favorite links, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
Cool Stuff articles are culled from BLFlip, the official Flipboard Magazine of BorrowLenses.com. If you’ve got an iOS or Android device, you can download the Flipboard app for free now.
- We love the smell of exhaust in the morning!…Okay, no we don’t. But we do love shiny cars and BTS (Behind the Scenes) shoots of shiny cars. So here’s one for you, courtesy of our friends at FStoppers.
- We sit up and pay attention to anything David Hobby says or does. He recently did an interview with National Geographic and Magnum photographer David Alan Harvey for Burn magazine, which is linked to from his blog.
- Our friend Drew Gurian has a very cool post on Joe McNally’s blog about going freelance. Drew was Joe’s first assistant for five years, and has written for our blog as well.
- Photographer Kenji Aoki has a strong, minimalist style that we’ve followed for a while now. The folks over at Popular Photography have a nice interview with him about his technique, complete with lighting diagrams.
- The guys at Digital Photography School have an interesting article about four ways you can make money as a photographer.
- And finally, this one’s for all you street photographers out there. Veteran John Free has some straight-up, no-nonsense advice for all of you.
And now, for the BorrowLenses.com Roundup!
- First, if you didn’t hear about it last week, our first educational app for the iPad is now out. The BL Lighting Cookbook features a variety of lighting scenarios and tools, and is available FREE form the iTunes App Store.
- There are some great specials in the Gear of the Week deal, so make sure you check that out.
- We’re still running the “What’s your Photo IQ?” quiz and contest. Make sure you go have a look at that too.
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff. As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.