Welcome to Cool Stuff, a recurring feature where we post our favorite links, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
Cool Stuff articles are culled from BLFlip, the official Flipboard Magazine of BorrowLenses.com. If you’ve got an iOS or Android device, you can download the Flipboard app for free now.
- Vincent Laforet’s blog featured this video on aspect ratios, and so far, it’s the best explanation we’ve seen online. Here it is, for your viewing pleasure:
The Changing Shape of Cinema: The History of Aspect Ratio from FilmmakerIQ.com on Vimeo.
- Speaking of movies, the guys over at Film School Rejects have a neat post on how some big-budget movies used some decidedly low-budget special effects. Definitely worth a read.
- And speaking of good reads, Trey Ratcliffe of Stuck in Customs has a good one on why he doesn’t use watermarks on his images.
- For the street shooters out there, here’s a fantastic BBC piece about Vivian Maier. Maier’s work was completely undiscovered until recently, when thousands of negatives with her images were found after she passed away.
- And finally, because we all love shiny new gear, here’s DPReview’s hands-on preview of the newly announced Canon 70D.
That’s it for this edition of Cool Stuff. As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.