Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- We rent a lot of fancy video gear, but if you find yourself up at over 13,000 feet needing, for example, a boom or dolly or jib, you might be well-served watching this video from our friend Chase Jarvis on how to improvise when necessary.
- So we knew the Nikon D3s is a tough camera. Nikon Rumors has a nice piece on just HOW tough it is.
- Models, you need to read this piece on DIYPhotography. Model Jen Brook has an open letter to other models on a few things all models ought to pay attention to.
- From our friends over at Profoto, here’s a really cool piece on how to light and shoot a 40-foot yacht.
- And finally, for those of you who like free (at least for the moment) software, the folks over at Red Giant have launched a public beta of their video workflow app that fits in between your camera and your editing software. Bulletproof is well worth a look if you’re seeking something along the lines of Lightroom for video. Here’s a video preview…
And now, for the BorrowLenses.com Roundup!
- We haz Medium-Format! If you haven’t seen it yet, we posted sample pictures from our Hasselblad gear on our blog last week. More medium-format goodness to follow…
- This week’s deal is a killer (I’ve got my eye on that 1D Mark IV). Make sure you take advantage of it!
- And just in case you missed it, we launched our eBook store! There’s tons of photography-related learning goodness there, so have at it!
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff! As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.