You Don’t Know Jack, the Canon 24-105mm Lens

While we receive many notes of thanks (and sometimes even small gifts) back with our rentals, every so often we receive something that knocks our socks off. We received this letter back with a Canon 24-105 lens.

Dear Borrow Lenses,              I am returning this Canon EF 24-105L lens, that you so crueley numbered 20033064. I’ll have you know that this number to you has a name, and his name is Jack. Jack arrived on my doorstep Sept. 27th. I was so excited to meet my new friend. Little did I know we would soon become more. I told Jack we were going to Disney World! He was so excited, he’d been so many places and had heard other lenses and cameras talk of Disney. On October 1st, we arrived and instantly Jack showed me how happy he was. I didn’t have too high of hopes, I thought “maybe I’ll get a few nicer pictures.” He surpassed all expectations. My images were so clear and sharp, such detail. Where have you been all my life Jack?! (Oh, that’s right, cooped up in your backroom! Shame!) I took Jack to more and more parks, he saw shows, rides, animals, and foods he’d never seen before. I was rewarded with pictures I’d never seen my T1i take before. It was inevitable… We fell in love. The 12th came and I couldn’t let him go! Just a few more days! And now it’s over, I want you to know, you may have his body, but he left his soul in my pictures! YOU CAN’T TAKE THAT AWAY! WHAT WE HAVE IS TRUE AND NO DISTANCE CAN CHANGE THAT!!! SHAME ON YOU FOR BREAKING UP TRUE LOVE! =( I’LL NEVER FORGET YOU JACK!!!  <3, FeliciaDear Borrow Lenses,
I am returning this Canon EF 24-105L lens, that you so crueley numbered 20033064. I’ll have you know that this number to you has a name, and his name is Jack. Jack arrived on my doorstep Sept. 27th. I was so excited to meet my new friend. Little did I know we would soon become more. I told Jack we were going to Disney World! He was so excited, he’d been so many places and had heard other lenses and cameras talk of Disney. On October 1st, we arrived and instantly Jack showed me how happy he was. I didn’t have too high of hopes, I thought “maybe I’ll get a few nicer pictures.” He surpassed all expectations. My images were so clear and sharp, such detail. Where have you been all my life Jack?! (Oh, that’s right, cooped up in your backroom! Shame!) I took Jack to more and more parks, he saw shows, rides, animals, and foods he’d never seen before. I was rewarded with pictures I’d never seen my T1i take before. It was inevitable… We fell in love. The 12th came and I couldn’t let him go! Just a few more days! And now it’s over, I want you to know, you may have his body, but he left his soul in my pictures! YOU CAN’T TAKE THAT AWAY! WHAT WE HAVE IS TRUE AND NO DISTANCE CAN CHANGE THAT!!! SHAME ON YOU FOR BREAKING UP TRUE LOVE! =( I’LL NEVER FORGET YOU JACK!!! <3, Felicia

As we received this letter in our warehouse, we felt compelled to make a change. This lens was special to Felicia and helped to provide some amazing photos and memories for her and her family. We made a change in our systems so that this Canon 24-105 lens would not longer be “#20033064”, but instead go by “JACK” in our systems.

No longer just a number…

It's Official, Jack's Back.

It’s Official, Jack’s Back.

Welcome home JACK. What’s your next adventure going to be like?

[If you order a Canon 24-105 lens and on the white label is “JACK”, we’d love to hear about what he’s up to or what he’s been shooting. Email us at wheresjack@borrowlenses.com.]

Thank you for reading this post. Leave a comment or subscribe to the RSS feed and have future articles delivered right to your feed reader. Love BL? Become an affiliate today!
The following two tabs change content below.
BL Cambot delivers all the latest and greatest contest, giveaway, and discount news!

45 Comments

1. Argh! I’m almost mad I have a Nikon and will never meet Jack. Perhaps I can meet Jill instead?

• Check out to see if you can get your own “Jack” with a Nikon mount

2. You guys are so rad. Keep it up!

3. I’m with Jenn10065 – could we get a “jill” lens for the Nikon folks? :) Except I want to be on the 24-70mm 2.8 lens… :)

4. you should post it as “jack” when it gets to the used lens sales.

5. I would love to see some of the photo’s taken with “Jack”.

6. That is so awesome! Both the letter and your response. :)

7. After some more fantastic sightseeing, selling “Jack” as a used lens in the future could potentially become a “charitable auction”… Just a thought.

8. That is completely awesome!! 😀

9. Very cool. +1

10. What a great story, you should auction “Jack” and find it a forever home. Then donate the money to a charity in Jack’s name. Happily ever after for everyone.

11. I think all the lenses should have names.. that would be so cool.. that story is so cool

12. I love this! I’m almost tempted to rent “Jack” even though I already have his twin in my bag! Can’t wait to read more about Jack’s adventures… particularly since I feel like the 24-105 doesn’t get enough love. He’s always being sold on ebay for a quick buck… bought at a discount as part of a kit and then immediately put up for adoption without even being given a shot. He never gets the kind of attention his big brother the 24-70/2.8 II gets, or his cousins, “the primes”. He’s the chronic middle child… But I think he’s got great potential!

13. Gee Jack must have saw his siblings Jane the 70-300mm because we were at Disney World the same time taking some amazing photos as well so amazing they have been entered into Borrow’s Photo contest on Facebook ….LOL

14. I smell a new viral marketing campaign in the making.

15. Reminds me of a video studio I once shot in… All the lighting units hanging from the grid had guy’s names hand-lettered on them. Spot George in a little bit! Pan Roger to the left!

16. good story…..made my day

17. The 8-15mm fisheye I borrowed traveled to Singapore. It boarded my company’s new vessel, went up in a helicopter for aerial images and helped me create some 360 panoramic images. It visited Clarke Quay as well as the Marina Bay Sands skypark, and took a few “bad” photos similar to the events that happened in the Hangover II! I tihnk you guys should name is “Felice” after one of my friendly, nice, and pretty coworkers from that end of the world.

P.S. – Felice was NOT involved in the events that happened on Hangover II night.

18. I would have given JACK back to her as a special gift. That would have been my move AND good deed of the day.

19. Another love story better than Twilight…

• hahahaha truer words were never said!

20. Oh my goodness! I loved this! I took “Jack” before he had his name, to a wedding and he delivered some FABULOUS results! Glad to see he made another lady happy. <3

21. I love this story! Felicia, I’m going to name all my lenses right now. Thanks Felicia and Jack!

22. Great story. I love my 24-105, it’s the only lens I have for my classic 5D except for a 50 1.4 which I only have for low light situations.

23. What a great story and you guys rock…good on you for doing such a nice thing, maybe one day I’ll rent Jack:):)

24. that’s amore <3

25. Great story! With every great story there is a happily ever after. So, my suggestion is to give JACK to Felicia. She is the one that named him after all. You guys are great!

26. So I’ve got a 24-105 reserved for March/April…any chance I’ll get the notorious “Jack”?

27. Franco and I had some good times….WHOA, that just does not sound right LOL!

28. I have this lens – Jack – He’s a wonderful friend and my “go to guy” for most of my Landscape Photography. I didn’t borrow him. But its nice to know this service is available.

29. All you Nikon shooters should be looking for your own ‘JACK”. Perhaps call him “Wilson”. You then can cry out (when he has to leave you) “WILSON!!! I AM SORRY! and sob uncontrollably as Tom Hanks did in castaway. As we know Tom hanks replaced Wilson in body but not the spirit. Besides, it has the whole fedex shipping aspect to it too.

30. What a nice name for a Canon lens. Love it. 😉

31. Well now I guess I’ll have to rent Jack for our Vacation to Disney World.Hope we get him! Love being a canon.

32. That’s awesome! I too love my 24-105mm!

33. I had to buy the Canon 5D Mark III kit with that lens just so I could have my very own “Jack”. I absolutely know how Felicia was able to fall in love with him so easily.
    Jill

34. I’m going to be renting a 24-105 to shoot a beauty pageant. I will be sure to request Jack if he’s available. :)

35. How cute! I have this lens amd love it!

Leave a comment, a question, or show us your work!