Kino Flo Celeb 200 DMX LED Lighting KitGear Talk
One of the newest lighting kits we have here at BorrowLenses is the Celeb 200 DMX LED from Kino Flo. The Celeb features 100 watts of lustrous, soft white light, which can be programmed to display a range between 2700K to 5500K, without changing the light output. Perfect for videography and filming with a warm or cool lighting tone without having to make color temperature edits in post-processing. It also features a DMX lighting connection to be used with control boxes for video and stage productions.
One of our resident portrait photographer, Alex 2.0, took it for a shoot recently and let us know her impressions.
The Celeb is very easy to use right out of the box and produces very nice, natural looking light with very little preparation. In this simple profile portrait, the light is placed about 2 feet from the subject, tilted at about a 45 degree angle, set to a temperature of 5500K and dimmed to about 39%. The 90 degree grid that comes with the kit in combination with the right exposure in-camera, allowed for nice, focused light on the subject and a dark background despite the portrait being shot in a bright white bedroom. If you are unsure of your preferred color temperature, there are handy presets available at the push of a button. What is nice about continuous lighting such as this is that, typically, what you see is what you get. It is also, of course, indispensable for video production lighting and handy for photographing animals since there is no popping flash, which can be startling.
However, the kit is only 100 Watts. This will produce less light for photographers who are used to 200Ws strobes and higher. Other observations:
- This kit is HEAVY (approximately 15lbs). Use of a C Stand (which we do not rent due to their bulk and weight) is strongly recommended.
- Generally takes up more room than a strobe head. Something to consider when shooting in tight spaces.
- Your model’s make-up won’t melt under these lights–they stay nice and cool.
- The grid is plastic and feels delicate. Be mindful of that when renting this.
The Kino Flo Celeb 200 provides a great lighting solution when color temperature and a steady light output are needed. If you wanted something a little smaller and portable, while providing more light, the Kino Flo Diva-Lite 400 Kit could make for a better alternative.
Latest posts by BL Cambot (see all)
- BorrowLenses Gear Rentals of the Week: 25% Off Discount - January 25, 2015
- Visit BorrowLenses and Win a GoPro at Imaging USA - January 21, 2015
- BorrowLenses Best Photos of 2014 Contest - December 15, 2014