Cool Stuff – Week of October 8, 2012Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- From the “Will Make Your Jaw Drop” department comes this film about the earth’s changing climate. Gawk at the trailer below; plenty of neat stuff to keep us photo geeks drooling, with some amazing imagery to boot.
- Stanley Kubrick was one of the film industry’s greats. While filming Barry Lyndon, he shot with Zeiss lenses that could shoot at f/0.7. Have a look at this short documentary talking about that.
- Our friends over at FStoppers have an awesome bit about how photographer Douglas Sonders shot a car ad for Honda in New York City for the 2013 Accord – at 48 hours’ notice, with no permits whatsoever. Fantastic look behind the scenes.
- Not too long ago, David Hobby over at Strobist mentioned a piece by the folks at Broncolor on the fast flash durations of their Scoro heads and how they could be used to freeze water in mid-splash. This left a lot of folks asking, “Couldn’t you do that with an Einstein E640, which is a LOT cheaper? Now, David Hobby brings us the answer: Yep!
- We get a lot of questions from budding professional photographers on shooting for portfolios. Well, the folks at DIY Photography have a great tip – Go to a convention, crash a party!
And now, for the BorrowLenses.com rundown!
- Pssst. We’ve got a neat announcement coming up tomorrow. If you live in Chicago, Monterey, or Hayward, you’ll wanna keep an eye on our blog. UPDATE: As promised, the announcement is live on our blog now. New Pickup Locations!
- It’s Deal of the Week time! We’ve got great Canon, Nikon, and Fuji gear for 25% off.
- More details on this tomorrow, too, but we’ve got a great way to answer questions like, “What kind of gear do I need for architectural photography?” UPDATE: It’s up now! Our Photography Packages page is live.
That’s it for this week’s (slightly delayed) Cool Stuff. As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Cool Stuff — April 14, 2014 - April 14, 2014
- Capturing the Surf: an Interview with Photographer Seth Migdail - April 3, 2014
- Fuji X-T1: First Impressions - March 26, 2014