Cool Stuff – Week of August 24, 2012Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- Not to start off on a bad note or anything, but Kodak, seriously, come on! The venerable company has provided almost all bad news, and even the small bit of good news it has comes couched in bad. Now it’s selling off its film and paper division, despite the fact that professional film sales rose 20% in 2012.
- Maybe Kodak needs to take a page from the Impossible Project’s playbook. They’ve made manufacturing and selling instant film a sustainable business, and have now announced a new product – 8X10 instant film.
- From retro to rockets, here’s a fantastic HD video of the Curiosity rover’s descent to Mars. Yes. We know. Freaking unbelievable.
- CSI mockers, you want some crow with that? PetaPixel says it best: “Great Scott! Corneal Imaging is Actually a Real Thing!”
And now, for the BorrowLenses.com rundown!
- First up: the Labor Day Special. Labor Day is coming up which means a bonus day on your order when your rental period ends on the holiday! For example, have your rental period begin on Aug 30th and your 3-day becomes a 4-day for free or, perhaps, have it begin on Aug 27th and your 7-day rental becomes an 8-day! Check out our newsletter for more info.
- East Coast Peeps, we love you! Which is why we’ve opened two new locations there, at PhotoTech in NYC, and at Allen’s Camera in Levittown, PA. Brandon from Allen’s Camera made a short video about us we’d like to share:
- And, of course, we have a bunch of new gear!
- First up, Sigma’s 180mm Macro lens, a true 1:1 Macro that opens wide to f/2.8, available in Canon and Nikon mounts.
- You’ve heard a lot about this camera. Now you can rent it! Lytro’s Light Field camera is in the house!
- The Force is strong with you – but your lightsaber’s kinda short, dude. Wait. That’s not a lightsaber! No, it’s Westcott’s new ICE light!
- And finally, the much-awaited Canon Cine lenses are being to trickle in. The 24mm lens is here; the others in the family should follow soon.
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff. As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Cool Stuff — April 14, 2014 - April 14, 2014
- Capturing the Surf: an Interview with Photographer Seth Migdail - April 3, 2014
- Fuji X-T1: First Impressions - March 26, 2014