Cool Stuff – Week of May 18, 2012Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- We begin this edition of Cool Stuff with an outstanding behind-the-scenes video of a fiat ad by Dave Hill. A combination of still imagery and high-speed Phantom camera shots, this “moving still” is something truly remarkable and surreal.
- Speaking of remarkable and surreal, photographer Kristy Mitchell has created an incredible series of images called “Wonderland.” Inspired by tales her late mother used to tell, these images were shot in surprisingly non-exotic locations, and on a shoestring budget to boot. Her blog has more details on the setup and process of her shoot.
The guys at FStoppers are on a roll. Here, they’re going on a roll to try and create the largest digital camera every made. Check out this piece and the accompanying video on their site.
- Now this is just too cool. Check out Dodge and Burn, a website selling photography-inspired t-shirts. I ordered two. Go on. You know you want them.
- Alright you social media mavens. We know you don’t have all the time in the world, but need to post to Twitter, Facebook, and Google+, all at the same time. Our friends at DPS have a great piece showing you how to do just that.
- From the “why didn’t I think of that?” files, here’s a nice bit from PetaPixel about models wearing light-painted dresses.
- Speaking of models, the guys at ISO1200 have a neat behind-the-scenes video of Annie Leibovitz’s cover shoot for Vogue.
- So Kodak went bankrupt. We all know that. My question is, why did they have a nuclear reactor in their Rochester building? Yeah, I’m not kidding.
- We end this edition of Cool Stuff with some doom and gloom. Photographers shooting still life, pay heed. You’re about to be replaced by a computer (and no, I don’t buy that – not yet).
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff. As always, questions and feedback are welcome in the comments below.
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Seeking Inspiration — July 20, 2014 - July 20, 2014
- The Bokeh Effect: How Sensor Size Affects Background Blur - May 14, 2014
- Illuminating the Face, by Peter Hurley: A Review - May 6, 2014