Cool Stuff – Week of April 06, 2012.Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
Let’s kick off with a couple of new product announcements. First, Canon just introduced the 60Da. The “a” designation is for astrophotography. Hit up the link to learn why you’d want this variant of the 60D.
- Sony’s got a new camera that might shape up to be good competition for the RED Scarlet. It’s 4K-ready, has built-in ND filters, and retails for less than $10K.
- Speaking of video, Dan Chung at DSLRNewsShooter.com has a great comparison of the two big guns in this DSLR video arena – the D800 and the 5D Mark III.
- Speaking of news, here’s how one small-time newspaper is surviving the publishing apocalypse: by focusing on photos.
- Here’s a bit of humor for you. Having difficulty with your photography? Try Fauxtographer!
- And speaking of fauxtography, Picnik users rejoice! You were crushed when Picnik was shut down; now, Flickr has a new option for you.
- Let’s keep going with this thread – the bane of overly serious photographers everywhere, Instagram is now available on Android.
- And, because you can’t have an Android story without some controversy, the complaints from iPhone users about the Android fanfolk ruining Instagram have already started.
- In the end, though, regardless of which camera you use and how you share your images, what brings photographers together is passion for image making. In that regard, we can probably find something to related to in this letter by one of the greats of our time, Joe McNally, to a newcomer to photography.
That’s it for this week’s Cool Stuff. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Things to Know about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Raw Update (with Some Sample Footage) - December 3, 2013
- What (Else) to Know When Renting the Hasselblad H4X Medium Format Camera w/ 80MP IQ280 Digital Back - November 27, 2013
- Cool Stuff — November 24, 2013 - November 24, 2013