Photo Finds – Week of March 26, 2012

Photo Finds – Week of March 26, 2012
Park Pobedy Station, Study 1

Park Pobedy Station, Study 1

NEW UPDATE! The winners of the free copies have been picked! Congratulations to Laura Michna and Kyle Reynolds! You’ll get an email shortly with details on how to download your copy.

UPDATE: We’re giving away two free copies of the Plus One Collection’s eBook version, which has the combined work of all 500+ photographers that contributed to the book.

To win, leave a comment on this post and tell us why you want a copy. We’ll pick two comments at random as winners on Friday, March 30, 2012.

Welcome to Photo Finds, a feature where we point you to some of the best photography around the web.

This week on Photo Finds, we have a photographer and a fantastic bit of collaborative work that he was instrumental in creating.

Some of you may already know Ivan Makarov, especially if you’re a photographer who spends any amount of time on Google+. His work on the Plus One collection (more on that in a second) has brought together a huge number of photographers from the Google+ community to contribute their photographs for a book that is being sold for charity. Ivan’s own work is featured in this book, and with good reason; his photography speaks to a lot of folks.

Elektrozavodskaya Station

Elektrozavodskaya Station

Stark, yet vibrant. Austere, yet lush. Ivan’s work often encompasses disparate qualities that speak to his skill as a photographer. The photographs from his gallery “House that Stalin Built” are a perfect instance of this.

His study of the Park Pobedy station, for example, encompasses the grandeur and harshness of Soviet-era follies, and creates something visually stunning. It doesn’t just do justice to those edifices of Marxist/proletariat aesthetic, but does them a kindness, stripping away color and leaving structure and form that is simply awesome to behold.

Ivan’t work can be found on Google+ and on his own website, ivanmakarov.com. I strongly encourage you to check it out, and watch for our upcoming interview with him on a future episode of BLCast, the official podcast of BorrowLenses.com.

The Plus One Collection

The Plus One Collection Book

The Plus One Collection Book

The idea, as the Plus One Collection’s website says, is simple.

We, a group of photographers from an online community on social network Google+ thought, hey, why not publish a photography book together? We spent a lot of time talking photography online, share and look at each other’s work, and even meet together to socialize and shoot. Why not collaborate on a project together? That’s how the idea of this book was born.

When the call to contribute came, 500+ photographers, both known and less known, from all over the world responded, willing to donate their art for the project.

It’s humbling to see such amazing work out there, especially from photographers you haven’t heard of. Sure, there are known artists like Trey Ratcliff and R.C. Concepcion, but many of the 500+ artists are relative unknowns – though you wouldn’t know it, looking at their work.

The Plus One Collection is sold in three formats: a hardcover book, a softcover book, and a PDF eBook. All the net proceeds go to Kiva, a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty.

The Plus One Collection also has a blog, where they will be posting conversations with the contributing artists, essays, announcements, and other info related to the book. The first conversation, with Joel Tjintjelaar (a personal favorite photographer of mine) is up now.

Visit the Plus One Collection’s website for more info on the book, as well as the artists who contributed to it.

All Photos Courtesy and Copyright © Ivan Makarov. All Rights Reserved.

That’s it for this week’s Photo Finds. If you’ve got an idea for someone who should be featured here, please let us know. Leave a comment or reach out to us via Twitter, Facebook or Google+.

Thank you for reading this post. Leave a comment or subscribe to the RSS feed and have future articles delivered right to your feed reader. Love BL? Become an affiliate today!
The following two tabs change content below.
Sohail Mamdani is a writer and photographer based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Follow him on Twitter. You can find his blog at anymedium.com and his work on 500px.

44 Comments

1. I love to be inspired by seeing different works from different photographers.

2. I’d love a copy to personally enjoy and to show off some great work to everyone:)

• I would love a personal copy. What a great why to learn and creat great discussions with friends that also enjoynphotography.

3. Books like this remind me why I love photography.
    When I’m feeling down about my own work, looking at photographers of this level doesn’t make me feel worse, it inspires me more. Challenges the way I look at things. Gives me something to strive for.

4. I am a new-ish hobby photographer and I love seeing what professionals have done in order to gain a better understanding of what I like, what works, and why.

5. Love to see the work of pro photographers and there perspective from behind the lens. I’m a intermediate to advanced rookie here. So to see the vision of others is inspiring to me..

6. The collection book would add a great look to my personal collection of portfolios that i have. Add more great photo’s that i shot this year. And show people what i do.

7. I’m an aspiring photographer, and having resources like these to digest helps inspire my creative eyes!

8. I would love to have a chance to share what I see with those around me in a physical Book, instead of the Internet. So those I share it with, can have a more personal experience with the art and emotion that went into each picture.

9. It is very simple I love to read listen or watch anything photography that I can get my hands on. I will do anything to make me a better photographer

10. I love seeing fellow photographer’s work. It inspires me to learn more about my hobby.

11. Trying to find my own voice in a field where there are countless paths to follow. Only way I will achieve this is by gathering an idea of what I like and don’t like and mixing it with my own personal touch. This is accomplished by viewing as many photos as possible and this book would help me continue this journey.

Thanks

12. I’d love a copy! It would be great to read a book created on Google+ on my Xoom.

13. Picture ebook + Free = Cool

14. I get inspired and motivated by the works of different artists. Photography is my passion, so seeing what people in general can do, how differently we see things, how passionate we can be, is amazing journey for me. This book is evidence that people can work together, in harmony without prejudice and since i couldnt be part of its making Id like to be able to hold a piece of everyones photographic souls in my hands

15. I just love looking at inspiring work, and I love free stuff..

16. You can always learn from others or at least get an idea that challenges you

17. I love to seeing what other photographers see through their lenses. It is so inspirational to me that it gives me ideas and hope that some day I will be published.

18. Wow, this would keep me off Facebook for hours!

19. After selling a majority of my possessions and moving to Hawaii, I miss so many of my books. Architecture, Interior Design… But all my books on, about and containing photography I truly miss. Would love to have a book of such inspirational artists and to have it right at my fingertips as an ebook, even better.

20. I love to be inspired and learn from others!! Thank you for the opportunity. Cheers!

21. Books of photography inspire me and give me ideas with my photography. It’s always wonderful seeing someone else’s perspective and seeing others appreciate the beauty so many dont each day.

22. I love photography books generally, and I’m always on the look out for compilations so I can admire diverse points of view. This would be a great addition!! :)

23. I look for inspiration wherever I can find it. I like seeing others work to see how they view the world.

24. I like pretty pictures!

25. IT WOULD BE RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME! AND I LOVE TO LOOK AT PICTURES AND GET INSPIRATION FOR MY OWN :)

26. Google+ is new to the game. Curious to see what is coming out of it!

27. I can never get enough of photography books! I would love to add this to my small (but growing) collection. Books which inspire are my favorites – and I expect this one will not disappoint.

28. I love photography and i want to be inspired by different works of photographers

29. I love photography and am inspired by those photographers who have challenged themselves to take their photography to another level.

30. To me this is exactly what social media at its best is all about. One person reached out to others trying to collaborate on a project for the greater good. It would just be exciting to see what they accomplished.

31. I love photography and would love to have a copy of this book!

32. Boy, I sure could use one of these for all the animal pictures I have took this spring at the Detroit Zoo!!! (My fingers are crossed) Sure would be a great early Birthday present. My B-day on 4/2 ( hint hint )

33. Being inspired from others collections of amazing work can have such a positive impact on the same work, I would love to get that inspirational collection.

34. Because its my birthday on 03/31 and it would be a perfect gift.Since photography is my nature.I take my camara everywhere and as soon as I see the sky change I snap a pict.It would be the greatest gift of all for me.

35. I always love to see beautiful photos and to get ideas from them.

36. One of the best tools in this field is knowledge and we need to constantly be looking for more. This book have the collective knowledge of so many good photographer and thats why I want it.

37. I love admiring the work of others. I use it as inspiration to my own photography.

38. Many of the photographers in the book are friends and several produce shows with me on the Vidcast Network. I’d love to have a copy of their work, but I could never afford this book.

39. Awesome book, awesome photos, great cause!

40. Let me see, why wouldn’t one want to have a book full of 500 pictures from the best photographers from Google+? I can’t think of a single reason. Add the fact that the proceeds help those in need – you simply can not go wrong.

41. I learn by looking, admiring and reverse engineering.

42. I need this book for inspiration and to see what good photography is! 😉

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Picture finds | Dmkimages - [...] Photo Finds – Week of March 26, 2012 | The Blog @ BorrowLenses …Mar 26, 2012 … NEW UPDATE! …

Leave a comment, a question, or show us your work!