Cool Stuff – December 5, 2011Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
Another slow week, folks, but there’s always something to talk about, so here it is…
- Headshot photographer Peter Hurley has a new tutorial video out called “The Art Behind the Headshot.” Our full review is forthcoming, but so far it looks like a must-have for any portrait photographer, not just headshot photographers.
- If you know about Peter Hurley, you’ve seen him shoot with Kino-Flo lights and you know how awesome they are. Here’s a video that gives you some info about how to build your own for about $100.
- Think being a National Geographic photographer is cool? Well, yes, it undoubtedly is, but it’s also a hazardous job. The Photo Society, a group of photographers who have been published in NatGeo have a reality check for you about working there. Our scariest incidents: Various Parasites or Trips into Chernobyl Reactor.
- Still wanna be a NatGeo photographer? William Allard, who’s been published in those hallowed pages describes how he landed his gig.
- Photographer Matthew Gore has a great video (below) showing how shutters in our DSLRs work, and why this is important to flash users.
- Think high-speed photography might be your thing? Then have a look at this tutorial from DIYPhotography.
- Reuters has published their list of the 100 best photos of 2011. Here it is, for your viewing pleasure.
- Timelapse photography is everywhere. Good timelapse photography, though, deserves a mention when it comes around. This Oregon timelapse falls into the latter category.
- Our friends at DPS show you how to create a timelapse in Lightroom
- Finally, we leave you with Stephen Colbert’s scathing commentary on CNN’s recent layoff of photographers. Their reason? The accessibility of quality cameras. Translation: people work for super-cheap, even free.
That’s it for this week’s cool stuff. If you have something you think should be included, let us know! Email us at [email protected]
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Cool Stuff — April 14, 2014 - April 14, 2014
- Capturing the Surf: an Interview with Photographer Seth Migdail - April 3, 2014
- Fuji X-T1: First Impressions - March 26, 2014