Cool Stuff – December 19, 2011Cool Stuff
Welcome to Cool Stuff, a weekly feature where we post our favorite links from the past week, including our favorite articles and how-tos, videos, images and more.
- Starting off with a little humor: the folks at DigitalRev have posted a trailer of a video they shot with Chase Jarvis. Chase, who has worked with bleeding-edge gear from RED, Nikon and others, now takes on… drumroll, please… a LEGO camera.
- Don’t know if you’ve heard, but it’s Christmas time! Our friends at DPS have come up with a list of gifts under $20 for photographers.
- Speaking of Christmas (and Chase Jarvis), the folks at creativeLIVE have a bunch of specials over at their site. Personally, I’ve bought so many videos there, I keep getting the “You already own this, dummy!” notice on a bunch of the specials pages. Still, as photographic education goes, it doesn’t get much better than creativeLIVE, so go take advantage of these deals!
- Travellers pay heed. PetaPixel has a great piece on how best to pack your camera gear if you HAVE to check it.
- Look, we encourage people to take up photography every day here at BorrowLenses.com. But even we did a double take on this post from Consumerist, which suggested that people take up photography as a way to earn a few extra bucks this holiday season. Thankfully, Popular Photography stepped up to the plate to explain why this may not be a great idea.
- Printing service Zazzle has a new tool that lets you visualize what your artwork would look like on your walls. If you ever wanted to check out what that image of your cat looks like in your living room, blow up to 20“ x 30”, now you can.
- What happens in the club, stays in the club – at least as far as flash photography goes. Beer company Cerveza Norte has developed a flash-blocking beer cooler. Take that, paparazzi!
- Look out! He’s on fire! He’s ablaze! He’s… lit with glow-sticks? Light painter Dennis Calvert presents this time lapse video of the making of one of his amazing images.
That’s it for this week’s cool stuff. If you have something you think should be included, let us know! Email us at [email protected].
Latest posts by Sohail Mamdani (see all)
- Cool Stuff — April 14, 2014 - April 14, 2014
- Capturing the Surf: an Interview with Photographer Seth Migdail - April 3, 2014
- Fuji X-T1: First Impressions - March 26, 2014